Thursday, November 19, 2009

The Homeless Man at Walmart

On my way home from work today I thought about stopping at McDonalds and getting an Iced Mocha. They are absolutely delicious and by far my favorite indulgence. I had a crisp five dollar bill in my pocket, so why not? Well, I didn't stop. The line was long and I wanted to get home to my kids.

Across the road is a Wal Mart. Out of the corner of my eye I saw someone standing there with a sign. Now it's important to note that I have never in over a decade seen anyone, homeless or not, standing with a sign in this area. It's never happened. But there he was, braving the threatening skies with his cardboard sign.

I don't know why I did it but I turned the car around. I drove back to the Wal Mart, parked my car, and started walking. I had to cross traffic to get to where he was, and he no doubt saw me coming. I handed him that crisp five dollar bill, an apple, and a tract. I asked him if anyone had told him that Jesus loved him today. He looked at me with heavy eyes and said "It's been a long time, ma'am." My heart broke for this man, and I realized why I hadn't spent that five dollars earlier and why I was convicted to turn around. We talked for a few minutes and then I left.

Do you want to know what his sign said? It didn't ask for money. It said "Homeless vet, need food and a tent."

As I drove away, he saluted me. My 15 year old car stalled at the red light but I made it home to my warm house anyway. If he's there tomorrow I'll be bringing him some food and a blanket. Chances are he will have found a new spot.




So for today... if I had a million dollars I would buy that man a home and everything he needed to survive. Sometimes we think life is hard, but when you stare into the eyes of someone who has given everything he has and has nothing left to give... well, your priorities are adjusted very quickly.




Homeslessness is something that we're all going to have to start thinking about. It is estimated that the current recession will force at least 1.5 million people into homelessness over the next 2 years.
Before you just assume that the next homeless person you see is an alcoholic or a druggie that got themself in that situation, think about this. The number one cause of homelessness for single people is, indeed, substance abuse. But the second reason is lack of affordable housing, and the third most common reason is mental illness. Families end up on the street due to lack of affordable housing, poverty, and unemployment.

And, touching home for me today, is the fact that 40% of all homeless men are veterans. How pitiful it is that these men fight for our country only to be spit out onto the streets when they aren't needed anymore.




Want to help? Here's a family committed to traveling around the country giving necessities and the Gospel to the homeless of America. http://www.travissharpe.net/helps.shtml


No comments:

Post a Comment